OLDEST EDITOR TO BE AT CRIMSON BANQUET

Lowell, Kelley and O'Brien Principal Speakers--Dean Whitney Toastmaster on Paper's 52d Anniversary

Among the prominent graduates who will attend the dinner of the CRIMSON this evening, is Henry Childs Merwin '74, the oldest living former editor of the CRIMSON, and a member of the original board of the Magenta, which first appeared in January, 1873. Mr. Merwin has had a long and distinguished career as a lawyer and author. For 21 years he was Legislative Counsel for the Massachusetts House of Representatives. Two of the best known books which he has had published are "The Life of Aaron Burr" and "The Life of Bret Harte". He has also written numerous articles for the Atlantic Monthly, the Century, and other magazines. Mr. Merwin is one of a group of widely known men who were connected with the CRIMSON in its early years. Barrett Wendell '77. William Roscoe Thayer '81, Josiah Quincy '80, and Owen Wister '82 were all at various times members of the Board in the first seven or eight years of the CRIMSON's existence.

Whitney Is Toastmaster

The Fifty-Second Anniversary Dinner of the CRIMSON will take place this evening in the CRIMSON Sanctum. Assistant Dean E. A. Whitney '17, a former President of the CRIMSON, will be the toastmaster for the evening, and the principal speakers will be President Lowell. Mr. Nicholas Kelley '06, former Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, and Mr. Robert Lincoln O'Brien. Editor in Chief of the Boston Herald.

Payson Dana '04, lawyer and Civil Service Commissioner in Boston, Louis A. Coolidge '83, prominent Massachusetts politician and candidate for United States Senator in 1924, and like Mr. Kelley, a former Assistant Secretary of the Treasury, and Professor J. H. Woods '87 of the Philosophy Department at the University, are among the other former editors who will attend the dinner. Leonard Wheeler Jr. '22, and R. A. Cutter '22. Editors of the Law Review of the University Law School, and David M. Little Jr. '18, formerly Assistant Dean and Tutor in the Division of Modern Languages, are also included on the list of almost a hundred editors past and present who will be in the Sanctum this evening. Dr. Raphael Demos of the Philosophy Department, Walter D. Edmonds '26 and Winthrop Wetherbee Jr., Editors of the Advocate, have accepted invitations extended to them, and Professor B. S. Hurlbut '87 will also probably be present at the dinner.

J. L. Caughey Jr. '25, retiring President of the CRIMSON, will deliver the first speech of the evening. He will be followed by Mr. O'Brien, Mr. Kelley and President Lowell. There will also be speeches by graduate editors and summaries of the year's work. The dinner, which is the formal occasion for the inauguration into office of a new board, is one of the traditions of extracurricular activity at the University.