Yale Dean Declares Freshman Celebration an Ordinary "Bottle Night"--Sees No Danger of Cancelling Crew Race

New Haven, Conn., June 2.--"It was an ordinary 'Bottle Night' for the Freshmen," said Dean Walden of the Yale class of 1928 in commenting on the informal Freshman celebration Sunday. "The uproar that the class of 1928 made Saturday night has been grossly exaggerated in some of the printed stories. They threw some things from their windows, largely glass and crockery, but the damage was slight. Their worst disorder was to start a bonfire. We of Yale live in a city and bonfires should not be started.

"Professor Bangs was jostled a little, but he says not much. He bears no traces of his being brushed aside by the march of the Freshmen as they paraded the Oval, either on his person or in his feelings. The damage done to the campus property was small."

Dean Walden made a categorical denial that the Yale-Harvard Freshman crew race was likely to be cancelled because of the "Bottle Night" disorder. "We do not think that this will be done, although it has been discussed as a possible penalty," he said. "The situation does not seem to us to call for any such action."

The faculty has always punished the authors of "Bottle Night" disturbances. They occur almost annually and result in two or three hot-headed Freshmen being separated from the university. Talk of athletic or other extra-curriculum privileges of the class being taken away is not encouraged by the authorities, who insist that beyond a few individual penalties the subject is likely to be dropped. The faculty does not intend to punish the entire class for a disturbance created by only a small fraction of its membership.

Last week two or three unknown undergraduates climbed the Lampson Lyceum tower and painted the lions and clock hands. The affair is being investigated and it is expected that the men will be punished in the near future.