JONES GETS 291, TIES McFARLANE FOR TITLE

PLAYOFF OF TIE SCHEDULED FOR 11 O'CLOCK TODAY

Worcester, June 4.--R. T. Jones '24, national open golf champion in 1923 and runner-up in the tournament last year, tied for first place with McFarlane with a score for the 72 holes of 291 in the last round of the national open played on the links of the Worcester Country Club this afternoon.

Jone's rapid recovery from his slump in the first round when he had been almost counted out with a 77 has been little short of sensational. In the eighteen this morning he kept to the standard of 70 which he set for himself in the second round, and thus when the third round ended at noon had climbed to fourth place with a total of 217 for the 54 holes, only four strokes behind McFarlane's lead at 213.

Got 74 In Afternoon

Starting off this afternoon with a 253 yard drive, Jones immediately jumped into a brand of golf, which though not quite as brilliant as he had shown in the morning; proved sufficiently stellar to lead a field of sweltering players. Jones and Hagen got 74's in the final eighteen, while Ouimet brought home a 76, and McFarlane petered down to a 78 in company with Farrell.

The playoff is scheduled for 11 o'clock this morning. It will consist of 18 holes, with an additional 18 in the afternoon if Jones and McFarlane still clinch on the ninetieth green.

If Jones succeeds in regaining his lost title of 1923 it will be one of the rare occurrences of golf history. Although there have been champions who have led the field year in and year out consistently these occasiions have been the exceptions that prove the rule that golf titles are no things to be mathematically reckoned, but rather crowns presided over by chance and fate.

The match on the Worcester links this morning will be watched with keen interests by sport lovers the world over. Everyone loves a winner and especially one who starts off badly and recoups himself in the very shadow of defeat. Jone's record, whether he wins or loses, will always be remembered in golf history.