RKLATES WORK OF BROOKS HOUSE TO CLASS OF 1929

Tibbetts Tells History of Organization and Places Freshmen Can Fill--Monday Night Meeting Start Oct. 5

The following article was written especially for the Crimson by W. I. Tibbetts '17, Graduate Secretary of Phillips Brooks House.

The Phillips Brooks House, a memorial to Bishop Brooks of the class of 1855, was dedicated in 1900 to "Piety, Charity, and Hospitality."

The Phillips Brooks House Association was organized in 1904 for the purpose of uniting all men in the University interested in the various religious and philanthropic activities, which had previously been carried on by different organizations. All men in the University are invited, regardless of their religious beliefs, to participate in its activities. There is no definite membership. Any student who contributes to or participates in the work of the Association becomes thereby a member automatically.

Freshmen are especially invited to take part in the Social Service Work, which consists of leading boys clubs or teaching elementary subjects, and should apply at once for the work to C.G.T. Lundell '27, Social Service Secretary at the Phillips Brooke--House. In addition, men with ability as entertainers at settlement houses. Or special interest to Freshmen, also, are the Monday Night Lectures in the Smith Halls Common Room. An especially fine list of speakers has been arranged this year, beginning on October 5 with Dean G.H, Chase on "Transition from School to College". The general subject for the lectures will be "What should a Man Get Out of College?"

There will also be a series of lectures at the Philips Brooks House. The speakers include Dr. Grenfel, Professor Copeland, Dr. Finley, John Roach Straton, Thomas Mott Osborne, Roger Babson, Arthur Nash, and President Faunce.

The Sunday afternoon lecture course will also be continued this year.

Library Opens Today

All Freshmen are cordially invited to use the Philips Brooks House throughout the year, regardless of their participation in the work. A reading room is located on the second floor, where daily papers and magazines may be found. There is also a circulating library. All students are invited to use the Text Book Loan Library, a collection of about 3,000 text books, which are rented at a net cost of five cents per book for the college year. This library will be open daily beginning today.

The opening meeting of the year for Freshmen will be held next Tuesday night, September 29. There will be short talks by Captain Cheek of the football team and representatives of some of the undergraduate activities, as well as selections by a group of men from the Glee Club, followed by refreshments. There will also be short addresses by two members of the Faculty. All Freshmen are cordially invited to attend this reception