Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

YALE SENIORS GET MORE LIBERAL CUTS

Medicine and Divinity Schools Will Carry Program Further and Abolish Scholastic Year System

Closely following the action of the University last week in extending the cut privilege to Seniors in good standing, comes the announcement made yesterday by the officials of Yale University, that taking effect in the near future, upper classmen who have attained a certain level of scholastic proficiency will be allowed to attend regularly scheduled lectures and classes at their own discretion.

The decision of the Yale Faculty is described as "one of the most progressive steps toward academic freedom since the adoption of the elective system at the New Haven Institution. As in the action of the University authorities the move is in way of reposing more reliance in the attitude of the individual toward his scholastic duties. The new system is expected to place less emphasis on the classroom and supervised instruction and more on the work of original research and independent study.

Liberal Tendency May Increase

The general trend toward increased freedom typified by this radical change will probably be carried still further in the Yale schools of Medicine and Divinity. In the former, the abolition of the scholastic year system of pursuing studies may be discarded in the near future. Dean Milton C. Winternitz of the School of Medicine, has advocated the proposed changes as in accord with the present theory of graduate education and has denied that they are of a particularly radical nature.

"Aside from its other advantages," he says, "such a system will be of equal value to the student who acquires knowledge rapidly, as well as to his slower colleague. It is hoped that by the elimination of the class system, the pupil who acquires knowledge less easily will be less reluctant to spend more time in preparation, while the more brilliant scholar will be more willing to spend longer periods in investigation and in specialization."