Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

A GERMAN THRUST

If Germany intends to reopen the war guilt discussion as the "New York Times" reports, the Assembly of the League of Nations will listen to much strong talk. France may take the dignified position that the question was settled long ago and can not be brought up again. In that event, the German legal barrage would break down before the first and strongest line of defense.

But a considerable portion of the French would welcome further opportunity to prove Germany guilty. During the long, cold winter, they could relive the glorious days of victory. Under the overwhelming influence of the Allies, there is little likelihood of the Assembly exonerating the black sheep of Europe.

The attempt of the Germans to rehash wartime bitterness is not altogether prompted by the desire for moral vindication. If they could prove themselves innocent, the whole basis of the Versailles treaty would fall through. As a sop to Wilsonian idealism, Germany was forced to pay reparations and give up colonies not as the price of defeat but as punishment for starting the war.

Even were Germany to be proven innocent, France and her allies could resort to the age old theory of might to enforce the treaty of Versailles. If successful, the German endeavor will foment disturbance and reinforce past bitterness. Failing in its attempt, German diplomacy will have caused the League to waste both time and words.