THE GOOSE STEP

President Hindenburg, monarchist head of a Republic, has ended an embarrassing situation by the methods of a drill sergeant. For six weeks, Dr. Luther struggled with wayward minorities which refused to agree on a cabinet. Angered by the ceaseless argument, the President of Germany spoke in the tones of Field Marshal von Hindenburg. Within a few hours the four parties of moderate opinions had decided on the members of the government.

The President's ultimatum had more than a warlike reputation to support it. Persistent rumors of a dictatorship under Chancellor Luther, Foreign Minister Stresemann, and Dr. Schacht, President of the Reichsbank, expedited the truce of warring factions. A rasping voice and a hint of a Roman triumvirate drove the Republican parties to agree that they might preserve their right to disagree.

During the interministerium, the business of state drifted along amicably enough. Since there was no one to criticise, the opposition could not function. Necessary business was attended to; controversial measures were not considered.

Upon this comfortable status quo, President Hindenburg's soldierly determination burst like a bombshell. Once more bedevilled ministers must force bills past irreconcilable opponents. From a six weeks' snooze, dormant prejudices are awakened. Acrimonious disagreements will now be transferred from extra-governmental conferences to the amphitheater of the Reichstag.

The prospect of the new government accomplishing its ends are brighter than the struggles of its construction would indicate. With the foreign policy of Dr. Stresemann, the "New York Times" reports the Socialists in complete accord. The important steps of entering the League of Nations and carrying out the Locarno treaty will have the support of a majority. Any government which can set Germany thus far in the direction of European peace will not be a failure.