GUIDE TO COURSES TO APPEAR AT PRINCETON

EDITORIAL REFERS TO SIMILAR ACTION AT HARVARD

Princeton, N. J., January 25, 1926.--In a recent issue of the Princetonian a new plan to aid students in "a wise and advantageous selection of courses" has been advanced through the editorial columns and definite steps for putting it into action have been suggested. The proposed plan is in the nature of a "guide to courses" but will be published in a pamphlet form and a copy be given to each Freshman. The Princetonian has offered to take charge of the selection of three first group and two low group students out of every course who will make up "a concise report on the particular course, with comments on the professor and the subject matter offered". The reviewers will be chosen annually and a new "guide" published each year. In stating the need and aims of such a plan the Princetonian says:--

Cites Example at Harvard

Without the slightest disregard or disrespect for the University Faculty, we advance in all seriousness a plan for the wise and advantageous selection of courses which has in it certain novel elements. True, our friends at Harvard have already taken active steps by the publication of a syllabus which gives the perplexed and unwary Freshman. Sophomore, or Junior the complete "dope" on every course which it is within his power to take during the ensuing year.

There are in the University curriculum a number of courses, distinctly too large in our opinion, which have in them preponderant elements of uselessness, boredom, unnecessary accumulations of worthless facts for the purpose of "mental discipline", and other equally unpleasant characteristics. The desirability of freedom from the ills of the lecture system for all members of the University has been advanced so often in these columns that it will scarcely bear repetition for the efforts have proved unavailing to say the least.

By, a wise selection of courses the student will be able to avoid those in which the lecturing goes beyond the bounds of even sleeping through, and boycotting of several courses would perhaps have a desirable effect.

Thus those who are engaged in the labor will be of inestimable service to their fellow-students who follow after and should contribute their advice ungrudgingly. All Freshmen will receive grafts copies of the booklet just as they receive the Freshman "Bible", previous to their selection of courses in the matter of Departments more space and greater care will be devoted to a thorough discussion of the work professors, courses and general desirability of each Department.