"LABOR PARTY HAS VERY GREAT POTENTIALITIES"

BRITISH WORKER DESIRES TO BE TAUGHT

"The British Labor Party has been sent on to its present power by a spiritual, not a material urge", said Mr. Albert Mansbridge in an informal lecture at the Union last night. Mr. Mansbridge, who educated himself while working in a railroad signal tower by rewriting Shakespeare's "Tempest" 1000 times, spoke of the tremendous thirst for education possessed by the British working classes.

"In England the manual worker and the intellectual or scholarly worker have to a certain extent joined hands. This gives the Labor Party a unity of force which the Conservatives, holding aloof from all the huge class of manual workers can never attain. In England, however, not every laborer is a manual worker. British labor showed its superiority to a class of ditch-diggers and stevedores by gaining for itself the support of educated people. The days of the Conservative Party are numbered unless it can bring about some fusion with the working orders.

Laborers Desire Good Education

"It is the important fact that nearly all great Englishmen were born in workmen's houses that causes the present day laborer to desire a good education. In classes at Oxford and Cambridge working men and women have proven their ability to write a better hand than their tutors even if they don't spell as well. This brings up the interesting question of whether it is better to write legibly and spell in correctly or to write illegibly with perfect orthography. Please notice that all American business letters have type-written as well as penned signatures.

"What I wish to make clear to you tonight is that this desire for education is making the Labor Party the greatest potential power in England."