LACROSSE SQUAD OPENS PRACTICE UNDER LEWIS

SCHEDULE ENLARGED AS INTEREST IN SPORT GROWS

W. E. Lewis, University wrestling coach, will conduct practise for both the University and Freshman lacrosse squads this fall inasmuch as Coach Irving B. Lydecker has found it impossible to leave his business in New York City. Coach Lewis, although he has had no active connection with the game since coming to Harvard, is not without experience. After learning the game under the Canadian players in the vicinity of Buffalo, New York, he organized the sport at Penn State, where he coached for 12 years.

At the initial practice, yesterday afternoon, all returned members of last year's squad were present with three exceptions. E. F. Gamache '27, Madison Sayles '27, and A. C. Lane '27 are playing football and will not be out for fall practice. Although the team will be seriously handicapped by the loss through graduation of Captain Reed, J. H. Watson '26, and C. W. Gilles '26, Captain Merrill Lynn '27 may be expected to lead a successful team. Several competent veterans were on the field yesterday afternoon.

Although lacrosse is not an official fall sport, Coach Lewis has issued a call for all Freshmen who are not engaged in any other sport to sign up at any time. The schedule this year will probably be larger, as Dartmouth, Williams, Brown and several other New England colleges are showing a greatly increased interest in the sport.

The squads will report five days a week throughout the fall, and special emphasis will be placed on mastering the technique of the game. For the uninitiated Freshmen, stick handling will be especially stressed, while the experienced players will devote their time to perfecting a few plays. An innovation this fall is a canvas, which will be placed over the goal, with openings at the sides, to increase the players' accuracy.