Lodge Explains Aims of New G. O. P. Political Organization in Massachusetts

Association Resembles "Young Turk" Movement--Aim Is to Stimulate Political Thought

The following article, dealing with the aims of the newly formed Republican Associates of Massachusetts, was written exclusively for the Crimson by Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. '94, Chairman of the Republican Association, and Washington correspondent for the New York Herald-Tribune.

If a well-known club after years of prosperous growth and accomplishment takes in no new members, what happens? It fails. Similarly if the Nation no longer enlists the interest of its citizenry and if a party no longer gains recruits--in short, if people don't vote, the same condition of failure results. Only in this case more dismal and more far-reaching than in the case of a club.

It is to combat the apathy, so long prevalent among voters betweeen the age of 21 and 25 that The Republican Associates has been formed. Older men, brought up in the traditions of the torchlight parade when voting was almost a religious duty, still respond to the call and by casting their ballot give a democratic form of government the life blood, which it needs Government, it is said, rests on the consent of the governed. This imposes on all of us--"the governed"--an obligation which under a monarchy we would not have. Unfortunately statistics show that in some cases only about 40 per cent accept the obligation and that consequently one-third of the country rules the other two thirds.

Undergraduates have often most praiseworthy ideas on the reform of government and promotion of the general welfare. Usually the undergraduate contemplates starting something new, with a new name, with new traditions and with new leaders. This is, in fact, the form usually followed in some foreign countries where the popular political instinct is more emotional and more revolutionary than at home. In Turkey perhaps the aims of "The Republican Associates" would be effected by a "youth movement" or a gang calling themseves "Young Turks."

Here, however, innovations and reforms are best effected by working in and with the established organizations. They have the experience and the machinery for reaching the public. With American politics in its present condition an ounce of work inside a political party is worth a ton of effort expended outside in the formation of some new organization which, history shows is, never to survive the two established political parties in America. This fact is perhaps abhorent to the young man who distrusts the old names and the old battle cries, but if he really prefers results to flag waking and accomplishment to revolutionary words, he will take his coat off and try to make himself heard inside the party councils.

Aims to Arouse Interest

These are some of the motives which prompted the formation of the Republican Associates. Briefly stated its aims are to arouse the interest of the young voter in public questions and to promote the principles of the Republican party. We are at present preoccupied with the coming election, but the future is equally, if not more important. Those who, like me for instance, feel that the Nation has had its greatest growth, its greatest accomplishment, its greatest prestige under Republican administrations are anxious to see these traditions perpetuated. This can only be done if the young voters of today understand and believe in these principles and appreciate their obligation to vote. To this we are bending our efforts.