Sic Transit.

THE MAIL--

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

It is with genuine regret that I address these lines to you, for the true Harvard man must at all times preserve his traditional indifference, but there are times when one tradition must be set aside to preserve another. In this matter the only stimulus that will arouse the student body to proper action is a vigorous word from your columns.

I first came to Harvard some years ago imbued with the idea of her traditions and adherance to the customs of old. Many of these I found and still cherish, that is why my spirit burns to see the old Waldorf chairs no longer in their wonted place. For many years the Waldorf was to be seen crowded nightly, now what? An occasional scattered group, stragglers, never the old solid masses that indicated the comfort and conviviality to be found there when the side arm chairs invited sprawling ease and lured by comfort the student from his studies.

Do not be mistaken in judging the sentimental appeal the old Waldorf still has for many undergraduates. Its fame is spread widely, already the no' Grious film. "Brown of Harvard" has given it the doubtful compliment of naming it as a Harvard rendezvous and there are others. It is often found that in later years graduates in recalling their college days will remember most pleasantly some eating place where they foregathered according to tradition. The selected beer gardens of the various student's corrs of the German universities, the famous Pekawook Cafe at Columbia, these are examples of places long remembered and almost traditional in the life of universities. Harvard was on the road to having one of its own in the Waldorf. The new antiseptic tables have robbed the place of any individuality (not to say comfort) the place ever had. Must we be so super-sanitary? With the old individual chairs back the Waldorf would resume its former glory. All that is needed is a little publicity and the change would be effected. WILLIAM MORTON, ocC.