THE SINLESS COLLEGE

It will be a source of great consolation for every college man to learn that by spending some time at college he has made his chances of going to the penitentiary less by about 42.5 times what they would have been had he not matriculated. Recent investigations made in Federal and State penitentiaries prove this to be the situation at the present time. Furthermore it is shown that if one is graduated he has about one chance of going to jail to 103 for every man who is not a college graduate.

These, figures should be instrumental in dispelling the belief that American colleges are leading their youths to wrack and ruin, if the public does not take the view that college men are more successful in the pursuit of crime as in other occupations--and judging from the prevalent idea of the lack of correlation between "college man" and "success", this should not be the case. Indeed, the average graduate may have become so supersaturated with the confinement imposed by the four year away of his Alma Mater that he takes particular pains not a subject himself to any in the future. Be the reason for this astoundingly grand percentage of undiscovered criminality what it may, it will engender a smug feeling in the graduate who realizes he receives with his diploma a practically guaranteed refusal of admittance from every penitentiary in the country.