MANY TRY IN VAIN TO HEAR DR. INGRAM

Dr. Ingram Denies Conflict Between Science and Christianity--Reading Surest Way to Truth

Over a hundred people were turned away from Appleton Chapel yesterday morning when the Right Reverend Arthur Foley Winnington - Ingram preached at the 11 o'clock service. The chapel was manifestly too small to accommodate the congregation which assembled to hear the Lord Bishop of London's challenge to those who find a conflict between scientific truth and Christianity.

The Bishop urged his hearers to consider Christianity from all its angles, and to read profusely, for through reading the truth is attained, and truth is the essential basis of religion. That Christianity is supported by reason was one of the prelate's chief contentions. Secondary to the mind, yet intrinsically important are the emotions of the heart, which must be of a high quality in order to assure self confidence.

Of all the questions which the students have asked him, Bishop Ingram stated that the one which had interested him the most was that of a man who asked why, if Christianity was convincing, the possessors of it lacked contentment. To this he replied that a Christian should desire incessant activity rather than seek smug contentment. The Lord Bishop's personality, which thus permeated his entire sermon, held the congregation's interest quite as much as his theme.

On account of this viril character, A. C. Gardiner has included the head of the largest diocese in the Anglican Church in his book "Prophets; Priests, and Kings." The author describes him as "A Bishop with a certain demonstrative greatness and personal magnetism which quicken the desires and touch the heart of the crowd. He is a great bishop too, in the sense that he is a great Christian. Slumming to him has been no ideal diversion; it has been his vocation--his life. He has gone out into Victoria part to meet the Atheists face to face, to answer their pet poses with ready wit, and win their hearts by his genial comradeship. He has the same access to the rich as to the poor. He does not divorce preaching and practise."

Last Friday night the Reverend Lord Bishop met 200 undergraduates at a reception given in his honor by the St. Paul's Society at the Phillips Brooks House. In a brief address, the Bishop outlined his reasons for professing Christianity, and also told of some of his experiences, while working with college men in England.