HARVARD WINS TWO PRELIMINARIES FROM DARTMOUTH TEAMS

Two Extra Periods Fail to Dissolve 1 to 1 Deadlock--1930 Tackles Dean This Afternoon

The first three Harvard and Dartmouth clashes scheduled yesterday as preliminaries to the football game today, resulted in a 2 to 1 decision for the University, the Crimson triumphing in both the cross country races and tying in the soccer match.

The University harriers, running in mid-season form against Dartmouth, paraded through to an 18 to 46 victory, winning eight out of the first ten places. Despite Harvard's previous victory over Holy Cross, the crushing defeat of Dartmouth was hardly expected in the second meet of the season.

J. L. Reid '29, a Sophomore running his second cross-country race, finished first in the fast time of 28 minutes and 58 1-5 seconds for the five mile distance. He was trailed by L. J. Novograd '27. Captain Ower of Dartmouth, W. B. King '27, and Leslie Flaksman '29 in the order named.

Freshmen Win 18 to 53

The Freshmen emulated the University team by burying the Dartmouth first-year men 18 to 53. W. G. Dooley '29 established a new Freshman record for the three-mile run, breaking the former mark by three-fifths of a second with the time of 18 minutes seven and two fifths seconds. He was closely followed by Gleason Lee '30 and D. G. Ferguson of Dartmouth. The next seven men to place were all Harvard runners.

Dooley Elected Captain

Immediately following the first-year event. William Germain Dooley of Boston, the recent record-breaker, was elected captain of the 1930 harriers. Dooley prepared at Huntington School where he ran the mile and the half mile and captained two winning relay teams at the Pennsylvania Interscholastic meets.

The one-sided results of the Dartmouth meet make the Crimson harriers seem one of the foremost contenders for the Intercollegiate crown.

Extra Periods Prove Nothing

Two extra periods were not sufficient to settle the 1 to 1 tie between the Dartmouth and the University elevens yesterday afternoon. The teams were evenly matched until the last 20 minutes of play, in which by accurate work near the goal, the University missed several chances to score.

In the first period. Benson tallied for the visitors on a pass from Marks. The score remained 1 to 0 until the middle of the last half, when Danielson, after carrying the ball for thirty yards, lodged it in the Dartmouth net. The defense on both teams was reliable. Lawrence breaking up many of the Harvard combinations and both the University fullbacks intercepting passes with regularity.

Freshmen Play Dean Today

This afternoon the 1930 booters will meet Dean Academy. The forward line has improved decidedly since the Andover game, last Saturday, and, in consequence, the Freshmen are the favorites today.