PERKINS SUCCEEDS BYRNE AS FELLOW

Byrne's Resignation to Devote Time to Business a Surprise--Perkins is Seventh Member

Thomas Nelson Perkins '91, recently chosen President of the Alumni Association, has been elected a Fellow of the University to succeed James Byrne '77, who resigned from the governing board on October 11. The corporation is now composed of President Lowell, Charles F. Adams '88, Treasurer of the College, Dr. Henry P. Walcott '58, Bishop William Lawrence '71, John F. Moors '83, Thomas Nelson Perkins '91, and Charles P. Curtis Jr. '14.

In 1905 only 14 years after his graduation, Mr. Perkins was first elected a member of the Corporation, to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Samuel Hoar '67. He was as that time the youngest Fellow of Harvard College ever elected. He served in this capacity until 1924, when he resigned to serve on the Reparations Commission in Europe. His place was then taken by C. P. Curtis Jr. '14, who is at present the junior member of the board.

Byrne's Resignation a Surprise

Mr. Byrne's resignation was caused by his business interests in New York City, which made it impossible for him to devote the necessary time to his duties as a member of the Corporation. He was elected to the governing board in 1900, and his resignation came as a complete surprise to his associates.

As an undergraduate, Perkins was captain of a victorious crew, and subsequently a member of the Athletic Committee. He graduated from the Law School in 1897, and has since been associated with the Boston law firm of Ropes, Gray, Boyden, and Perkins. Since the founding of the Harvard Endowment Fund, he has been a member of both the National executive committee, and the Greater Boston Committee.