OUTLOOK OMINOUS FOR UNIVERSITY IN HOLY CROSS CLASH

Coady Is Definitely Barred From Play Against Purple--Tackle Berths Go to Clark and Simonds

This afternoon for the first time in recent years a Harvard eleven will take the field against Holy Cross with the odds against Holy Cross with the odds against it. The Crimson's defeat at the hands of Geneva last Saturday and several injuries sustained during the week have combined to turn the opinion of experts in favor of the Purple in today's clash but the history of University teams which have triumphed after entered gridiron, contests as the underdog is too well known to allow even the most rabid Purple supporter to be too sanguine on the result of today's game.

Game Starts at 3 O'clock

The opening kick-off is scheduled for 3 o'clock. The renovated Crimson eleven, although forced to enter the battle minus several of its strongest players, is expected to show a fighting brand of football which will make it difficult for the Crusaders to live up to the optimistic prophecies of their supporters.

Only four of the players who opened the season last week will be in the lineup for the opening kick-off this afternoon. The biggest surprise in the opening team named by Coach Horween last night is the appearance of Putnam at quarter in place of the veteran Stafford. Another important change is the shift of Gamache from end to center in place of Parkinson, who held down that berth on team A until Thursday, when the erstwhile end was shifted back to the position he held two years ago. F. Clark and Simonds have drawn the tackle assignments, Captain Coady being still out with an injured leg.

Meadows is filling the end position left vacant by Gamache, and Robinson is again in the other wing position. Goodwin has replaced Kilgour at guard and E. Clark is in the backfield in place of Fench. The latter has had a recurrence of a boil, but although out as a starter may see service before the afternoon is over.

Among others who will probably serve in reserve roles this afternoon is Saltonstall, regular wingman on last year's team, who was out until a few days ago with injuries. Saltonstall has taken part in some of the scrimmaging this week and is considered fit for action again. In case the inexperienced line-men who have been pioked to stem the Purple tide seem incapable of the-task Coach Horween will have several veteran players on the side lines whom he can rush in as fresh material.

Surprise in Shelving of Stafford

Although the shift of Gamache to his old position in the center of the line is causing much speculation the shelving of Stafford for Putnam is the biggest surprise that Coach Horween has sprung during the last few-weeks. Stafford was considered virtually assured the quarterback position for this season, his play last year in Brown and Yale games being one of the high spots in the remarkable Crimson rejuvenation of the hectic 1926 gridiron season.

Putnam was the Freshman quarterback of last season. Although the lightest man on the squad, he is probably the best man that the Crimson has in an open field, with the possible exception of Zarakov. Putnam is an excellent field general, and a good job in today's game will go a long way towards securing for him the regular position over Stafford.