"PRIMA FACIE UNDESIRABLE"

The CRIMSON has generally refrained from commenting on routine administrative policies in the graduate schools. But the recent action of Dean Pound seems to involve an issue, whose significance is not confined to the Law School. It raises a problem, which is common to all departments of the University, as to the relation between Faculty and students.

In the last few years the educational policy of the College has tended to depart even more than previously from a system of paternalism and petty disciplinary restraints. Notable instances of this tendency are the greater freedom allowed to Seniors in the ordering of their courses of study, and in the privilege of unlimited cuts.

It has always been understood that this liberal spirit was to be found in even greater measure in the Law School. It comes as a distinct shock, therefore, to learn that a member of the School who is guilty of missing a single lecture, is deemed by Dean Pound to be "prima facie an undesirable student", and is threatened with expulsion. It is true that all hope is not lost. Perfect behavior on the part of the "undesirable" may avert the consequences of his grave misconduct. But the taint of the original sin remains forever.

The CRIMSON cannot but regret this latest action on the part of the Law School authorities. A system of compulsory attendance, compulsory preparation for classes, compulsory extra-curricular work, enforced by the sanction of expulsion, has been recognized to be unsuitable for undergraduate education. Certainly, it can find no proper sphere of application in a graduate, and above all, in a professional school. It is hoped that the recent incident is merely a temporary lapse and does not mark a new departure in Law School policy.