TOUCH FOOTBALL GAINS DIGNITY AS 1930 SPORT

AUTHORIZED AS FORM OF FRESHMAN ATHLETICS

Touch football, inaugurated this year as a fall sport to fill in after the conclusion of the football season, has proved so popular that it has been made an authorized sport for Freshmen to substitute for gymnasium exercises, squash, or biking.

Eleven teams have applied for membership in the League managed by M. A. Cheek Jr. '26. These organigations equipped with harmonious titles such as "The Holy Rollers." "The Pleaders," "The Apthrop Apostates" and "The Mit-six-Odders" have launched the season successfully on the Freshman football fields.

Rules Layed Down

A standard set of rules has been drawn up for the League games, formulating definitely the hitherto somewhat vague etiquette of Touch Football. An interesting experiment has been attempted in the time quota allowed for the contests. Twenty-five plays can be used in each period and when this number has been completed, play automatically stops. This scheme was proposed for regular football games last year but was not adopted. In the Touch Football League, the 25-play period has worked out very successfully according to M. A. Cheek.

To Play Until Snow Flies

Graduate students, lawyers, theologians, Freshmen and CRIMSON men have entered teams in the League. The competition for the championship title will be continued until snow flies. According to present indications, three contests will be scheduled each day.

The game of Touch Football includes all the essentials of the regular gridiron sport without the tackling and with a team of seven players. Men who are interested in the sport will have an opportunity to witness the "Seven Saints" in action against the "Wanderers" and the "Pleiades" clashing with the "Mitsix-Odders" at 3.15 o'clock this afternoon on the furthest Freshman fields. All Freshmen who have signed up for the sport at the Locker, Room will be formed into teams today by the League management at the same time.