Conley, New Leather Pusher Coach, Advises Those Who Would Feel Safe--Speed of Foot or Fistic Ability Suggested

The boxing season at the University opened yesterday under the tutelage of Lawrence Conley new fistic mentor at Hemenway gymnasium. Sixty men have signed up for the sport, several of them University champions from last winter's open tournament.

The petition requesting that boxing be made a minor sport is at present under consideration by W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics, and two members of the Minor Sports Council. The interest evidenced by the unusually large turnout for the squad may be an important factor in determining the decision of the Committee.

Conley Former Champion

Lawrence Conley, the new instructor, has been puglistic impresario for several New England professional champions and has acquired a national reputation as a referee. He is a former National amateur champion in the 135-pound class. In commenting upon the manly art to a CRIMSON reporter, he declared, "If a man wants to have self confidence at all times he should go out for either track or boxing. Then he can feel safe in the midst of the most trying conditions. I have known many runners who had more nerve than a heavyweight champion. Confidence is a great thing.

"I remember Johnnie Dundee, the former bantam champion as the most self-assured little man I ever saw. He had a habit of bouncing off the ropes on top of his opponent during a match in order to get up momentum for his punches. But I saw him do it once too often. He hopped off the ropes full speed and met the outstretched glove of the other fighter. They carried him out semi-conscious fifteen minutes later. He had too much confidence."