Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

DUSKY DORMITORY DWELLERS PROTEST AT SOOT BARRAGE

Owing to a filthy fog of soft coal smoke that descends inches deep upon Westmorly Hall early in the morning and rests there during the day, an emphatic protest has been registered by the dormitory inmates with the Cambridge Department of Public Safety.

An inspector appeared several days ago, according to J. F. Brady, janitor of the dormitory, and examined the clouded corridors, the mauve bed-spreads, and the soot-stained porticos of the dormitory. His attitude was non-committal but he ventured the statement before leaving that ordinances against soft-coal smoke had been seldom enforced since the recurrent coal strikes of the past few winters. He has not been seen since.

The cause for the coal fumes is a one foot chimney on the adjacent Harvard Garage, cunningly placed so that Westmorly's inhabitants are converted into synthetic brunettes before starting for their 9 o'clock classes.