Union First to Move in Attempt to Solve Present Food Question

Continuance Rests on Response--Has Support of President Lowell and Regent Luce

The Governing Board of the Harvard Union announced yesterday that a limited number of University undergraduates would be permitted to eat at the Union under a new club table plan.

Sponsored by Matthew Luce '91, University Regent, and endorsed by President Lowell, the Union offer marks the first official attempt to find a solution for the present eating problem in Cambridge. The new plan provides for the installation of a number of tables on the second floor of the Union where four, ten, or more students may eat regularly at the same place each day. This will revive the old procedure at the University, whereby a group of friends ate together during their last three years at college.

Details Still Lacking.

Although full details of the new system have not yet been worked out, applications from students who look with favor on the plan will be received at the office of the Graduate Secretary of the Union. It is understood that a minimum of 17 meals a week will be required in order to take advantage of the $2 a week discount. Under such an arrangement the cost of board would average slightly over $11 a week.

If the limit of from 100 to 200 students is reached within the next week and sufficient interest in the new plan is displayed by the undergraduate body, the University may build a new dinning hall feel next year, centrally located for the upper-class dormitories. The probable site for this building will be on Mt. Auburn Street.

Cafeterias Spring Up.

Since the closing of Memorial Hall, Harvard Square has been the scene of on unusual real, estate boom. Two large cafeterias have been built in the last two years; a third is now in process of construction. Lunch-rooms, delicatessens, and coffee-houses have sprung up with mushroom-like rapidity. The Square at luncheon hour teems with undergraduates in search of nutriment.

It has been computed that a student "eating around" at cafeterias averages $14 a week. In the Freshman Dining Halls it is $9.50 a week for excellent board. If the University constructs new dining halls for the upper-classmen, it is expected, that the prices will be approximately the same.

Once more the "club" table system, celebrated as a Harvard tradition, has made its appearance. It is the first step taken toward a remedy for the present unsatisfactory eating conditions.