Foreword

It was in the middle of last summer that Charles William Eliot, President of Harvard University, Emeritus, passed away. Notices of his death were immediately broadcasted to the newspapers of the world. Innumerable articles and editorials were written to review and praise the long life and impressive work of the revered scholar, administrator, man. It was, however, a particularly unhappy reflection upon the present state of the civilized world that the newspapers, and newspapers print what the people want, gave undue attention to the death of a cinema hero, with the result that the Grand Old Man of America was not given space and tribute by the daily press which he without question deserved as material tribute from the masses. A large number of the editorials on Dr. Eliot were mere commentaries on the fact that enough space had not been accorded the event of his death.

But from the intelligentsia of this country, and indeed of the world, President Eliot was most fortunate in receiving untold praise a few years before on the occasion of his ninetieth birthday. And since his death the same intellectual class have again pronounced encomiums clothed in the finest literary dress and made by the most profound thinkers and skillful writers of the day.

The time of President Eliot's death, however, was such as made it impossible for either the University, as such, or the undergraduate body by suitable ceremonies, or the undergraduate publications by appropriate issues to honor one to whom all owe an unpayable debt. It is in this Charles William Eliot Memorial Issue that the CRIMSON is fulfilling its part to the best of its ability. It is in the pages that follow that a few Harvard undergraduates try to give a student point of view toward a man whose heritage is theirs and whose memory they wish to honor. Of the much that has been said about Dr. Eliot nothing so far has been contributed by students, and it is they who feel most directly the results of his accomplishments.

Upon learning of the death of President Eliot the editors of the CRIMSON scattered over various parts of the United States, England and the Continent, communicated with each other regarding the most appropriate way in which the paper could deal with the situation. A memorial issue published immediately after the beginning of the College year would have been possible, but not advisable. Haste could have produced nothing but superficiality. And so the editors determined to organize the Memorial Issue with as great care in the matter of form and content as was possible, and to publish it only when their entire plan could be completed.

This plan was to publish a few short essays on Dr. Eliot by prominent contemporary educators together with articles written by the editors themselves dealing with particular aspects and phases of his life and work and illustrated by a number of photographs and portraits of the late President and reproduction of scenes pertinent to his activities. It has, therefore, been with great satisfaction that the editors have been able to obtain from educational leaders the desired essays. The articles by the editors have been composed with painstaking care.

The time and energy spent by the authors of the Memorial Issue have been far more than repaid by the contact they have afforded with their object. Next to knowing President Eliot in person, the greatest pleasures are to be derived from reading what he has written and spoken and from talking with those who have been both humanly and academically acquainted with him. It is with the deepest feeling of gratitude to a great man that the editors of the CRIMSON, present this Memorial Issue to do him honor in their small but sincere way.