ORATORS ENGAGE IN TRIANGULAR DEBATE

Aim of University Orators Is to Amuse as Well as Convince--Co-education Is Issue

The University debating season will open tonight when the opening argument is launched in the triangular debate with Amherst" and Dartmouth. The question is, "Resolved: That co-education in a form similar to that in a state colleges is advisable in the colleges of the Eastern Intercollegiate Debating League."

Tonight at Amherst a team consisting of F. W. Lorenzen '28 and D. E. Scoll '28 will take the affirmative side of the subject. It is not known yet who the Amherst speakers will be. C. C. Craig 11, who has been coaching the team for this debate will accompany the men to Amherst.

To Debate Here Tomorrow

Tomorrow evening E. H. Hubbard '30, E. M. Rowe '27, and J. L. Fitzpatrick '27, alternate, will support the negative of the same question against R. L. Reinhardt, A. A. Armstrong, and R. E. Elar, alternate, the Dartmouth affirmative team. The debate will be held in the John Knowles Paine Concent Hall of the Music Building at 8.15 o'clock, and admission will be free. Mr. W. J. Abbott, the Editor of the Christian Science Monitor, Mr. L. L. Cleveland, the Headmaster of the Cambridge Latin School, and the Reverend Roscoe Hatch of the Grace Episcopal Church in Everett will act as judges. Each judge will have one vote and a fourth vote will be based on a ballot taken in the audience. Dr. John Dickinson will probably preside.

Anticipates Success

"Although I do not care to make predictions," said Coach Craig in an interview with a CRIMSON representative yesterday. "I think we have every reason to expect a highly successful season. Our present team has been picked from a group of 18 candidates of almost equal ability--and the new men are fully capable of holding down the positions of the men we have lost from last year's team." Last year the University won all its debates, and captured the league championship.

The orators will make a special effort to amuse as well as to convince their audience. In the past Harvard debating has occasionally been convincing but often extremely dull and uninteresting. This year, however, the debates will be made especially interesting to the audience.

E. H. Hubbard, the Freshman member of the team, is a very promising orator. A convincing speaker who holds the attention of his hearers, he will probably be an important figure in debating for the next three years.