DARK HORSES TAKE TOUCH TITLE AS SNOW FLURRIES END COMPETITION

M. A. Cheek, Manager of League, Predicts Much Larger Membership Next Year--13 Teams Ended Season

Winning all their five scheduled games, the Dark Horses have become the champions of the Touch Football League which closed its season last week. The Pleiades, the Standish Storks, and the Juggernauts, all with clean plates, follow in that order. Postponed games helped these teams to keep their percentage high, as the Pleiades played only two games, the Storks, three, while the Juggernauts only took the field once.

R. T. Flood '27 captains the winning team, whose fast and bewildering series of passes proved too much for the other members of the league.

Only Five Original Entries.

When the league opened its season a month ago, only five teams entered the lists. The addition of touch football to the prescribed sports open to Freshmen gave the league a tremendous impetus, and teams enlisted rapidly until at one time fifteen combinations were included in the league. Bad weather finally cut short the completion of the schedule.

Four Teams Undefeated at Close.

The final standings of the teams are as follows:   Won  Lost  Tied  Per Cent. Dark Horses,  5  0  0  1.000 Pleidaes,  0  0  0  1.000 Juggernauts,  1  0  0  1.000 Standish Storks,  2  0  1  1.000 Randolph Ramblers  2  0  1  1.000 Holy Rollers,  2  2  2  .500 Seven Sinners,  1  1  0  .500 Missionaries,  1  2  0  .333 Mit-Six-Odders,  1  2  0  .333 Fourth Estate,  1  3  0  .250 Apthorp Apostates,  0  1  2  .000 Gore Hall Gadflies,  0  3  0  .000 Seven Saints,  0  3  0  .000

Cheek Predicts Increased Interest.

In regard to the success of the first touch football season and the future possibilities of the sport at the University, M. A. Cheek, Jr., '26, who directed the activity this fall, stated yesterday "I expect that twice as many teams will sign up for touch football next year as reported this season. The league will have to be organized earlier and will require enlarged playing facilities.

"The main problem this fall was to find space on which the teams might play. One day last month there were 133 men playing on Soldiers Field, every available ground being occupied. This situation will probably prevail most of the time next year.

"Touch football is the only athletic activity that brings members of all departments of the University together. It is the best of the so-called intramural sports. Played in the open air and requiring fast, clever action, without the incessant running of soccer and lacrosse, or the personal contact of football, the new game offers an ideal exercise for the fall. The unusual amount of interest displayed by undergraduates this year insures a firm backing for the sport in the future.

Game of Recent Origin.

"Touch football, so far as I have been able to find out, seems to have originated within the last five years at preparatory schools. Comparatively few men in the graduate schools seem to be familiar with the game, whereas all the undergraduate students seem to know it. Next season, when the graduate departments enter more teams, the original league will undoubtedly have to be divided into several others."

Cheek Predicts Increased Interest.

Game of Recent Origin.