MILLER LEADS FAST SPRINTERS TO TAPE

Crimson Captain Romps Home in Easy Style in Mile Race--Two Relay Teams Bow to Purple

Captain Tibbets, Miller, and Ballantyne were winners for the University in the mile run, 40-yard dash and hurdles respectively at the Knight of Columbus track meet in Mechanics Hall Saturday night. The University relay team came to grief when the fast Holy Cross combination arrived at the tape in the lead, and the Crimson Freshmen also lost to the Purple relay team.

In the dash, Miller got away to a poor start, but went hurtling ahead of his field, reaching the finish about a yard ahead. By winning this event he outclassed Francis Hussey, schoolboy flash of last year, and now a Freshman at Boston College, and Hubert Houben, the widely heralded German champion. He thus proved himself able to compete with the best of the international stars, and is picked to have a record season.

In the relay O'Neil dropped five yards on the opening stretch, and Haggerty lost five more. However, ten yards were thrown away each time the baton was passed, as Holy Cross was more adept at this art. Watters managed to hold his rival about even, and Kane in a piece of fine running made up all but five yards of the distance between himself and his man, but could not quite breast the thread ahead of him.

Captain Tibbets proved that he is the same stellar performer of past seasons, when he overcame an early lead obtained by Leo Larrivee, last year's winner, and beat him to the tape by 60 yards. Tibbets was satisfied to let Larrivee set the pace for eight laps, passing the quarter-way mark in about a minute. However, on the eighth round, Tibbets went out in front, although his lead did not become commanding until the two men had run around the oval twice neck and neck. At that point Larrivee saw that he was defeated, and dropped behind.

Ballantyne got away to a winning start in the handicap hurdles, and was followed in close order by Clark, his teammate. He stepped the sticks in six and two fifths seconds, only two fifths of a second short of the world's record, which shows that the University is to have no dearth of capable fence riders this year. Balantyne won second place in the event at scratch.

Two third places were registered by University men, Haggerty and Luttman following two other runners to the worsted in the 600-yard and two-mile runs. Haggerty showed the effects of his work in the relay, and was unable to get ahead of Leness of M. I. T. and Helffrich, former Penn State flyer. Leness, the winner, it will be remembered, displayed a game fight in the University-M. I. T. relay several weeks ago.

The summary:

K. of C. mile, won by Tibbets, Harvard: second, Larrivee, Illinois A. C.; third, McKillop, Boston College, Time, 4m. 24 1-5s.

Two-mile run, won by Lermond, B. A. A.: second Peaslee, N. H. State; third, Luttman, Harvard. Time, 9m. 48s.

600-yard run, won by Leness, M. I. T.: second, Helffrich, N. Y. A. C.: third, Haggerty, Harvard. Time, 1m. 17 1-5s.

45-yard low hurdles, won by Murphy, Boston College: second, Ballantyne, Harvard; third, McDonald, Holy Cross. Time, 6s.

45-yard handicap low hurdles, won by Ballantyne, Harvard; second, Clark, Harvard; third. Time 6 2-5 s.

40-yard dash, won by Miller, Harvard: second, Hussey, Boston College; third, Berrill Boston University. Time, 4 4-5s. One mille relay, won by Holy Cross: Rocke, Clausen, Burns, Mulvehill; second, Harvard: O'Neil, Haggerty, Watters, Kane Time, 3m. 6s.

Freshman Relay, won by Holy Cross: Mahancy, Bean, Hudlin, Murphy: second, Harvard O'Connell, Smith, Tupper, Hulzman. Time, 3m. 15a.