A DOUBLE VICTORY

The defeat of Helen Wills is a most fortunate occurrence, internationally speaking. For the first time since the war. America has lost decisively and with no particularly gracious air. By a score of 6-3, 8-6, France has regained that amour propre so necessary for an independent nation.

Henceforth when war debats are burdensome, the French can slave the would in their pockets by the though of Mlle. Lenglen's victory. Les Americains can take the gold but their best players can not conquer the incomparable Suzanne. Like the battle of the Marne, the conflict at Cannes serves to reinforce a failing sense of superiority.

Nor did the tone of the Associated Press despatches serve as a model of sportsmanlike conduct. The headlining of a poor decision by a linesman as an excuse for the defeat is scarcely in the best of taste, especially since an equally crucial judgement went against Suzanne. The future of America to triumph either morally or physically goes far to restore the French morale. For the second time in history, a tennis court is the rallying point of the nation.