Amid Boston Overdose Crisis, a Pair of Harvard Students Are Bringing Narcan to the Red Line

At First Cambridge City Council Election Forum, Candidates Clash Over Building Emissions

Harvard’s Updated Sustainability Plan Garners Optimistic Responses from Student Climate Activists

‘Sunroof’ Singer Nicky Youre Lights Up Harvard Yard at Crimson Jam

‘The Architect of the Whole Plan’: Harvard Law Graduate Ken Chesebro’s Path to Jan. 6

THE OLD ORDER PASSES

Down Die Siegesallee in Berlin wander a few disconsolate Junkers. The grim old monuments recall the pomp and grandeur of the good old days, the good old days of blood and iron, gone--forever passed away.

The times have changed. So also has the name of the historic square before the Reichstag building. Yesterday it was Konigplatz. Konigplatz was military Germany incarnate. There rightly stood the stalwart statues of von Moltke and that mighty Empire Builder, Prinz Otto Eduard Leopold von Bismarck-Schonhausen.

Konigplatz smacked of Sadowa and Sedan and a long line of national glories running back to Teutoberg. But the old war lord has been unhorsed, and in his place there sits a female figure, symbol of democracy. For Konigplatz gives way to Platz der Republik.

Louis XVI lived to see France a republic and to hear himself called "Citoyen Capet". The less ancient but no less royal dynasty of Hohenzollern still lives in three generations, and the head of the house has turned from ruling a nation to chopping wood. Platz der Republik becomes the herald of a new order which sees Germany exchange her place in the sun for a seat in the League of Nations.