SPEEDY CRIMSON TEAM OUTSTRIPS INVADING HOSTS

Kane's Thrilling Finish in Relay Is Fitting Climax--Crimson Places in Every Event

The earthquake tremors felt during the H-D-C meet in Mechanics Building last year were duplicated on Saturday night, when the spectators rocked the structure with their cheers as Kane, anchor man on the University relay team, overcame a decisive lead and flashed past a sprinting Dartmouth runner to break the tape a winner in the last event of the meet. The win in the relay brought the Crimson score to 59 points, just two more than the combined scores made by the second place Dartmouth squad, with 30 1/2 points and the Ithacan athletes, who finished third with 26 1/2 points.

Crowd Jams Building to Capacity

In capturing their second successive triangular meeting, the University track performers established two new meet records, took five first places, and placed in every event. The mile run resulted in a clean sweep for the Crimson runners, and in two other events, the 1000-yard and the two mile runs, they captured the first two positions. The meet was run off with machine like precision and in record time before a crowd which filled every seat in the building.

Second only to the great uphill fight made by Kane in the relay, after he had previously broken his own triangular meet record in winning the 600-yard run, came Haggerty's record-breaking performance in the 1000-yard run. His well planned victory in the mile run, Captain Tibbett's beautiful two-mile win, and Watter's desperate drive into second place in the 1000-yard run were no less remarkable. Miller was also in brilliant form as he sprinted away from the field in the 40-yard dash.

Squad Points Toward National Title

The Crimson squad is now pointed to ward the high spot of the indoor track season, the I. C. A. A. A. A., to be held next Saturday night in the 102nd Engineers Regiment Armory, New York. As a result of their showing last Saturday night, the Crimson runners are conceded at least an even chance to carry off the national honors against the strong Georgetown champions and the Yale squad.

One of the closest but least spectacular contests of the triangular meet took place Saturday afternoon in the cage. With only one attempt remaining to him, Glen-dinning of Dartmouth, after two false starts, came through with a leap which bettered by one half inch the mark previously set by Jones, the Crimson jumper. Probably the most spectacular per- formance, with the exception of Kane's classic in the relay, was Watters' race in the 1000. The University middle distance star was almost too sick to walk just before the race. He overcame a poor start, and fought every step of the way to shoulder ahead of a Cornell runner on the last turn and finish behind the winning Haggerty.

The summary:

Running Broad Jump--Won by Glendinning (D); second, Jones (H); third, Ketz (D). Distance, 22 ft. 4 3-4 in.

Pole Vault--Combs (H), Clark (H), Dodd (C), Reed (C), tied for first place at 12 ft.

35-Pound Weight--Won by Cohen (C); second, Burglund (H); third, Lindner (H). Distance, 43 ft. 8 in.

40-Yard Dash--Won by Miller (H); second, Russell (C); third, Glendinning (D). Time, 4 3-5 s.

One-Mile Run--Won by Haggerty (H); second, Tibbetts (H); third, O'Neil (H). Time, 4 m. 28 1-5 s.

300-Yard Run--Won by Colloday (D); second, Glendinning (D); third Burns (H). Time 34 4-5 s.

600-Yard Run--Won by Kane (H); second, Werley (C); third, Kelly (D). Time, 1m 16 4-5s. (New triangular meet record).

45-Yard Hurdles--Won by Welles (D); second, Ballantyne (H); third Strong (C). Time, 6s.

Two Mile Run--Won by Tibbetts (H); second, Luttman (H); third, Pond (C). Time, 10 m 4-5s.

16-Pound Shot Put--Won by Murray (C); second, Pratt (H); third, McAvoy (D). Distance, 40ft. 9 3-4 in.

Running High Jump--Won by Moody (D); second, Bradley (C); third, Herrmann (D) and Jones (H) tied. Height, 6 ft.

1000-Yard Run--Won by Haggerty (H); second, Watters (H); third, Higley (C). Time, 2m 20 2-5s. (New triangular meet record).

Relay Race--Won by Harvard (Broome, Lundell, Rogers, Kane); second Dartmouth; third Cornell. Time 3m 8 1-5s.

Summary of Freshman events:

40-Yard Dash--Won by Cooley (D); second, Andres (D); third, O'Connell (H). Time 4 4-5s.

Freshman Relay Race--Won by Dartmouth; second, Harvard; third, Cornell. Time, 3m 10 1-5s