SQUASH HOLDS BETTER RECORD THAN ANY OTHER UNIVERSITY SPORT FOR 1923-26

Prospects for Coming Season as Bright as During Past Victorious Years--Team Has Won Three State Championships in Three Years of Play

There is no athletic team in the history of University sports that can boast of a record equal to that which the Crimson squash racquets team now holds. With three state and two national championships tucked safely beneath its belt, the team bids fair to continue its brilliant record next year.

Much of the credit for the racquet-men's spectacular rise is due Coach Harry Cowles. He has drilled his teams faithfully, and has always endeavored to keep a close eye on the outlook for good material. Proof of this may be found in that the Freshman squash team of the past year possesses a record which vies with the University's.

Team Unbeaten in 1924

Three years ago, under the able tutelage of Coach Cowles, a team was developed which possessed more than the ordinary strength. It opened the season with a 3 to 2 win over the strong Union Boat Club. From then on the season was just a series of wins for the Crimson, and the eight-game season closed without a loss. A fitting climax to the year came when the team was awarded the Massachusetts State Squash Racquets Championship. It had lost but five matches out of 40 played. The 1923-24 team was composed of: Captain W. P. Dixon '25, G. D. Debevoise '26, J. J. Glessner '25, Charlie Harrington '24, R. P. Rose '25, E. M. Upjohn '25, and Manager Harry Eldridge '24.

Team B did not fare quite as well as the University team that year, but it closed its season with the loss of but one out of nine meets, and ten out of 45 matches. Last year's University record was still more impressive than that of the previous year. The racquet wielders, again under the leadership of Captain W. P. Dixon '25, began its second championship season with a spurt which carried them through their schedule without the loss of a single meet, and which netted them the state and national championship. This year, the team lost but three of 45 matches, and but one in the national championship tourney. Captain Dixon showed his ability as a leader by capturing the National Individual Squash Championship crown.

Past Season Began Well

The following men were members of the 1924-25 team: Captain W. P. Dixon '25, G. D. Debevoise '26, H. N. Rawlins Jr. '27, A. H. Smith '25, E. M. Upjohn '25, and Manager E. L. Hunt Jr. '25.

Team B also finished the season without the loss of a meet, and dropped but eight of its 45 matches.

The beginning of the 1925-26 season which has just closed found the Crimson racqueters at the top of their form. They went through the season without losing a contest, and dropped only three matches. The team again won the state championship and safely defended its national title. W. P. Dixon '25 again won the national individual squash crown, but this time he did not represent Harvard. The team was composed of: Captain G. D. Debevoise '26, L. S. Haskins '26, P. M. Lenhart '27, H. N. Rawlins '27, R. S. Wright '26, and Manager G. H. Perkins '26.

Summarizing the statistics of the three-year record of the University teams: the Class A team was undefeated in 24 contests, won 109 matches, and lost 11, and won three state and two national championships. The Class B teams lost but two of 24 contests, and won 98 matches and lost 26.