Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

GERMANIC MUSEUM RECEIVES ABRAHAM AND MELCHISEDEC

Among recent additions to the Germanic Museum are two fine monuments dating from the thirteenth century and illustrating the transition from the Romanesque to the Gothic period. The monuments which have been added to the group of similar status already in the Museum, are the figures of Abraham and Melchisedec from the Transept of the former Augustinian Church of Wechselburg in Saxony. Both of these figures, mediaeval symbols of secular and ecclesiastical authority, are remarkable examples of human characterization. Abraham is represented as wielding the sword against the hostile powers of the world, while Melchisedec is shown carrying a cup of libation for spiritual evils. Placed against the same wall before which the Wechselburg Pulpit and Crucifix are mounted, the two figures fit well into the setting and worthily complete the exhibit of thirteenth century Teutonic sculpture.