MATMEN WIN CROWN BY HUGE MARGIN AT M. I. T.

BROWN TEAM FAILS TO PRODUCE EXPECTED POWER

The Crimson grapplers showed the best form of the season on Saturday night in the M. I. T. Gymnasium when they captured the New England, Intercollegiate Wrestling Championship from five New England colleges. The final score of the meet was Harvard 31, M. I. T. 13, Williams 11, Brown 7, Northeastern 4, and Tufts 1.

Six of the seven Harvard men who entered the meet emerged with championship crowns. H. R. Wood '27, the only Harvard man to be defeated, lost his match by decision to Patterson of Northeastern in the 158-pound class.

Crimson Gets Revenge on M. I. T.

The University matmen were given a chance to revenge an early season defeat at the hands of M. I. T. when five of the Technology wrestlers qualified for the finals. Brown failed to display its potential strength, while Williams proved stronger than expected. The meet in the finals was wholly a Harvard-M. I. T. affair. Harvard took three of the six matches by decisions and the remaining three by falls.

B. C. Turner '27 showed rare form in the tournament when he won both his semi-final and final bout by falls. Mowatt of Northeastern proved no match for Harvards undefeated 115-pounder, and was thrown in two minutes 57 seconds. H. M. Kullman '27 was forced to two overtime periods in order to gain a close decision over Harris of M. I. T. The men were evenly matched, but Kullman's superior mat-work proved the deciding factor.

Hayne Wins By Fall

The fastest match of the entire meet was between F. B. Hayne '26 and Burke of M. I. T. in the 175-pound class. Burke assumed the offensive from the beginning and was clearly out-wrestling his opponent; but his aggressiveness proved his downfall, when Hayne took advantage of an opening, and quickly pinned Burke's shoulders to the mat. It was a lucky break for the Crimson grappler.

The Crimson's Seconds also showed a good brand of wrestling when they made a clean sweep of all their matches with the M. I. T. Seconds, and won by a 22 to 0 score. Four of the bouts were won by decision, one by a fall, and one by default.