DRAMATIC CLUB BEGINS SPRING WORK TONIGHT

DANA, GRANDSON OF LONGFELLOW IS SCHEDULED TO SPEAK

At 7 o'clock this evening the Dramatic Club will begin its spring activities with an open meeting in the Union at which the name of the spring play will be announced. The principal speaker of the meeting will be H. W. T. Dana, of Cambridge.

Following Mr. Dana's talk, C. H. Johnston '27, President of the Club, will make a short speech and then the departmental heads will outline the work in their departments. Raiph Nye '26 is in charge of the acting, E. W. Gross '27 the publicity and business, and Edward Baur '27 the stage work. Competitions will also get a start tonight in the seven regular departments of the club. The actors will be chosen as a result of tryouts which will begin in about a week. Work in the other departments is briefly summarized as follows: stage, regular backstage and work with scenery; art, designing of sets and posters; electrical, lighting; business, getting advertisements for the program; subscription, selling and distributing tickets; publicity, writing articles for various papers and interviewing persons of note in the theatrical world.

Dana Is Poet's Grandson

Mr. Dana, the grandson of Henry Wadswroth Longfellow, was formerly an assistant professor of English at Columbia University. He left Columbia in 1917, and since then has been a lecturer on literature in various schools, among which is the New School for Social Research in New York. He was also one of the founders of the Trade Union College, which was started in Boston soon after the war.

With his educational work Mr. Dana has combined an active interest in the modern drama. He has been closely associated with the progress of the Dramatic Club during the last few years and helped to pick the three plays which were tried out by the three plays which were tried out by the Dramatic Club and which are now running on Broadway.