LOIS PLAYS DAUGHTER TO BELLE AGAIN

Miss Moran and Miss Bennett Adapt Philip Gibbs to the Screen--If you Have Read the Book, Don't Go

If you have read the "Reckless Lady" in the Gibbsian original, then don't go to the Metropolitan to see it, as it has been very much adapted to fit Holywood requirements. However, if your pleasure won't be marred by not recognizing the tale, then do.

This is the second vehicle by which the delightful ingenue, Miss Lois Moran, has conveyed her exotic charms to the public. The first was "Stella Dallas". Again Miss Moran is the daughter of Belle Bennett, who it will be remembered, was Stella herself. This time, however, the effort is not as serious, nor as introspective, due to the material and not the actresses.

Belle Bennett as Mrs. Fleming has been out of an evening in 1914 when her husband, Colonel Fleming, returns unexpectedly from his regiment. He discovers that she has been gambling bell, money and time with Count Deoder. Being a soldier he refuses to arbitrate and declares he never wants to see her again. At just that moment someone knocks at the front door. It is a despatch, ordering immediate mobilization.

Belle wastes ten years trying to win enough at the table to pay for her daughter's education. 1926 finds her at Monte Carlo and Lois a very entrancing young girl. "Count Feodor returns to see the daughter, a suit naturally not attractive to the mother. Luckily a young man from Grand Rapids Furniture, as he calls it, turns up to outrival the "homme du monde" and the story ends happily when Colonel Fleming, friend of the Grand Rapids youth, saves Belle from suicide and begs forgiveness for his prewar wrath.

Lowell Sherman plays the villainous Count, while James Kirkwood wears the Colonel's epaulets. Ben Lyon, however, is the luckiest of them all, since he carries off the heroine.