Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

BROWN EASY VICTIM FOR HARVARD FIVE, 36 TO 24

WORCESTER GAME ON SATURDAY WILL CLOSE SEASON

Led by Captain Smith, brilliant right forward, the University basketball team ran rough shod over the Brown quintet last night to win by a 36 to 24 score in the last game of the season to be played in the Hemenway Gymnasium. The Crimson leader counted immediately after the opening whistle with a long toss and continued to pile up half of the University tallies.

The Crimson court squad ran into an early lead and with the exception a desperate Brown hurry in the first period, were never headed. The Providence basket tossers were weak on the attack, and were forced to take the few shots that they were allowed, from long range. In the last session Coach Wachter relieved his first string players at frequent intervals and the reserves held the invaders on even terms. Jones, who was scheduled to start at left forward, injured his leg in practice Monday night and was unable to play. The starting Bear line-up played the entire game.

Brown Knots Count

Following the initial goal from the floor by Smith, Barbee, who was second high scorer with five baskets and who played a strong defensive game, counted with a short shot after a fast play which carried the ball under the basket. Immediately after this the Crimson guard counted again, when he tipped the ball in after Leekley had missed a foul throw. The losers broke into the scoring column on the next play when Reed, the speedy Brown right forward found the strings with a shot from near the center of the floor. Danzell, the Bear tip-off man, scored the next basket with a spectacular one-handed shot from the side of the floor.

Smith put the University quintet out in front on the next two plays when he dribbled in to score a short shot and followed this with another goal from under the back board after eluding the outer Brown defense. Barbee, Coombs, and Smith all found the basket in quick succession, followed by a Brown rush which netted two tallies. Just before half time Reed scored for the losers with a clean toss from the middle of the floor and the teams left the court with the Crimson five leading by a 20 to 15 score.

In the the second half the University players started with a rush, when Barbee took the opening tip-off and dribbled under the basket to score his fourth goal. The University captain counted twice for the Crimson five in the early part of the second period with pretty shots from the side of the court.

The summary: HARVARD  BROWN Smith, Eaton, r.f.  l.g., Good Leekley, Dorn, Baldwin, l.f.  r.g., Hunt Rauh, Macurdy, c.  c., Danzell Coombs, Hatch, r.g.  l.f., Hayes Barbee, Elberfield, Lane, l.g.  r.f., Reed

Score--Harvard 36, Brown 24. Goals from the floor--Smith 7, Barbee 5, Coombs 2, Macurdy, Dorn, Reed 4, Good 2, Hayes, Danzell. Goals from fouls--Smith 4, Rauh 2, Reed2, Danzell 2, Hunt 2. Referee, Kelleher. Umpire, Coady. Time, two 20-minute nives.