DICTIONEERING

Although it is well known that the birth-rate of words is high, the world does not so fully realize how many of them are born crippled. The burden of that knowledge intimates Dr. Frank H. Vizetelly. Managing Editor of the New Standard Dictionary, rests upon the compiler of a lexicon. Within two days he has reserved seventeen barbarities aspiring to a legitimate place in the world's least redundant book.

They come with and without "Brummy", "snig", and "sportserapana" form perhaps their prize triumvirate. In the order named, these three compose a trochaic line of no dull rythm, and, corralled into a sentence, they provide salutary exercise for those who have given up Sanskrit. For example: "It's a snig" means, not "Throw that alarm clock out of the window", but, "It is an unseen object of my desire". Those addicted to abstraction have thus a new vehicle of expression.

But why "brummy" should connote wile, or "snig" an unseen Elysium is another question. Undoubtedly serapana" is more comprehensible. Still the idea persists in one's mind that these epithets were better submitted to the author's psycho-analyst than imposed on an already stuttering world.