Harper's Magazine Essay Contest for Undergraduates Is Still Open--Lures College Scriveners With $1000 in Cash

On April 14 all manuscripts which are to be submitted for the Harper Prize contest must be in the hands of W. D. Edmonds '26 in Stoughton 18, or W. I. Nichols '26, in Massachusetts 1 who have been appointed to collect the writings, and to chose therefrom those they consider worthy of consideration by the judges appointed by Harper's.

Three cash prizes have been offered by Harper's Magazine to the undergraduate college students who during the college year from November 1 onward produce the best pieces of English prose. The prizes will be one of $500, another of $300 and a third of $200.

The manuscripts which are submitted in the contest may be either fiction, essays, or articles, but must not exceed 4,000 words in length. The purpose of the competition is largely to stimulate interest in the writing of English prose among college men.

In all the other colleges entering in the competition for the Harper's Magazine prize, the manuscripts which the undergraduates hand in for the contest are to be entered by the heads of the English Departments, each of whom are to send not more than three manuscripts from the material submitted by his students. The members of the English Departments of the College have, however, refused to do this, and it was, therefore, imperitive that another means of cutting down the manuscripts be found, and with this in view, three literarily prominent undergraduates were selected to choose the writings which will be submitted for the finals of the competition. These three men were A. G. Cooke '26, former president of the Lampoon; W. D. Edmonds '26, retired president of the Advocate, and W. I. Nichols '26, ex-president of the CRIMSON. In the absence of the Cooke from college, Edmonds and Nichols will take over the work alone.

There will be three judges for the competition, all of them well known in the world of letters. Cristopher Morley who is one of the judges, has written many popular books, his latest, Thunder on the Left, having created very much of a stir in literary circles. Zona Gale and William McLee are prominent as educators and authors.