HARD HITTING IN FIRST GIVES FRESHMEN OPENER

MIYAKAWA LEADS FIRST-YEAR TEAM'S ATTACK

The Freshman ball players had on their hitting clothes in the early innings of yesterdays game with Wentworth Institute and shoved enough markers across the plate in the first canto to down the invaders. The first-year diamond team scored five times in the first, and the final count was 8 to 1. After the initial bombardment, during which the losers chalked up their Ione marker, both teams settled down and played fairly tight ball. Wentworth gathered six hits off the deliveries of three Crimson twirlers while the winning stickers were collecting nine safe blows from a pair of school boy fingers.

Both teams turned in several misplays and the infields were slow in handling their chances. Miyakawa, diminutive Chinese short fielder for the Freshmen, led the attack for the winners with two safe hits in three trips to the plate. He drew two passes, scored a brace of counters and sparkled in the field. Durkee, heavy hitting left fielder for the Crimson nine was the other slugging luminary with two clean drives. He also worked the opposing moundmen for two free trips. Malloy started on the hill against the Wentworth squad, but was relieved early and Ketchum was sent in to puzzle the visiting batsmen. The latter pitched good ball until the eighth when he faltered momentarily and Whitmore was rushed to the rescue.

The heavy end of the school boy batting order started off in a business like fashion to open the first inning, when Barry singled with one man out, and Pierce drove him in with a hard double. The real scoring began in the Freshman half of the first session, however, when Miyakawa walked, was scarified to second and scored on Donahy's long drive to deep center which went for a three ply blow. Durkee followed the 1929 third sacker with a base hit, McGehee doubled, and Elkins and Prior singled to complete the scoring. The first-year ball tossers chased two tallies home in the third inning and finished their scoring with a run in the fourth.

The following is the summary: HARVARD a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Miyakawa s.s.  3  2  2  2  2  0 Crotty c.f.  4  0  0  1  0  0 Donahy 3b.  4  1  1  1  2  0 Durkee l.f.  2  1  2  0  0  0 Todd 1b.  3  2  1  11  0  0 McGehee r.f.  4  1  2  2  0  1 Elkins 2b.  4  1  1  4  1  0 Prior c.  3  0  1  4  0  0 Mallory p.  2  0  0  2  3  0 Whitmore p., l.f.  1  0  0  0  1  0 Ketchum p., 2b.  1  0  0  0  3  0 Tudor p., s.s.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Total  31  8  10  27  12  1 WENTWORTH INSTITUTE a.b.  r.  b.h.  p.o.  a.  e. Sweeney l.f.  4  0  0  0  1  1 Barry 1b.  4  1  2  9  0  1 Callahan c.f.  3  0  0  4  0  0 Pierce 3b.  4  0  1  1  2  0 Jenkins r.f.  3  0  0  2  0  0 Welsh c.  4  0  0  4  1  0 Harrington s.s.  4  0  3  2  0  0 Castonqui 2b  4  0  1  2  2  0 Barr p.  3  0  0  0  5  0 Henean p., r.f.  1  0  0  0  0  0 Scott p., r.f.  0  0  0  0  0  0 Total  34  1  7  24  11  2