Boston Plays and Boston Customs to be Parodied in Repertory Summer Production--Students Urged to Write Skits and Songs

The Repertory Theatre's recently formulated plan to run a parody review next summer comes as a distinct novelty among Boston theatrical ventures. Parallels can be found in the Grand Street Follies and the Garrick Gaieties, both of which ran for many months in New York, but the undertaking is believed to be without precedent in Boston. A further innovation in this review is that it is to be composed, acted, and managed entirely by amateurs.

This feature strongly suggests the origin and development of the Garrick Galties, which were started by some of the younger members of the Garrick Theatre Company for the purpose of parodying the plays which were then running in New York. The idea seemed to take with the theatre-going public, and the Gaities prospected and grow. Although the scope of the parody has broadened out to include American life in general, its favorite prey has remained the theatre. Skits on famous actors and actresses, like the disturbing domestic scene between Alfred Lunt and Lynn Fontaine during the course of a serious drama, take-offs on popular plays, to whit. "They Knew What They Wanted Under the Elms", and more satirizations of similar type continued to draw crowds to the Garrick Theatre and to increase the general interest in the parodied productions.

The attempt which is going to be made at the Reportory is essentially similar. The satire here, however, is to be directed chiefly against Boston life and Boston customs. Harvard and the Boston theatre will came in for a fair share of the fun.

All Harvard men are invited to try their hands at writing humorous sketches, light scenes and music for this review. Since the show is being run on a professional basis, efforts which are successful will be reimbursed. All men in the University who want to try their skill in this direction should sce E. W. Gross '27, in the Dramatic Club Rooms on Mt. Auburn Street between 2 and 3 o'clock today.