Antithesis

THE MAIL

The Harvard Crimson assumes no responsibility for the sentiments expressed by correspondents, and reserves the right to exclude any communication whose publication may for any reason seem undesirable. Except by special arrangement, communications cannot be published anonymously.

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The necessity for a required philosophy course is now met. Those students who wander uncertainly in the slough between religion and science may find assistance in Phil. 6a and 6b. Philosophy of Religion; or Phil. 7a. The Philosophic Basis of Religion; or Phil. 2, Philosophy and History of Religion; or Phil. 4a, Ethical Systems which makes "a comprehensive study. . . .of Christianity and modern materialism." Announced for next year is Phil. B, Types of Religion. "The purpose of this course is . . .to aid students in working out a tenable view of the world for themselves."

How much better are these courses than the one proposed! Those for whom organized religion has not broken down and those who desire to readjust themselves should not be corralled into a required course. Because of their disinterested presence, such a course must necessarily lack spontaneity, must become, for many at least, a bugbear. Around that course, designed to enable "the student to work out a rational view of life", there will grow rank vegetation: tutoring schools will offer to sell "a rational view of life and raise your grade a letter--or your money back." At section meetings, the unwilling will be hand fed a predigested philosophy. As Professor Lewis remarked in Philosophy A, philosophy should be only for these who are troubled by its problems. Others have no need for it. Harold Lamport '29