LIGHTWEIGHT CREW FACES TIGERS AND YALE ON CHARLES

Merrill to Stroke University Crew in Annual Race for Third Time--Crimson Chances Good

Opening their season with its most important race this afternoon, the untried 150-pound oarsmen face Yale and Princeton on the Charles.

If the Crimson shell succeeds in pulling across the finish line ahead of its rivals today it will be the third successive year that it has triumphed in this triangular affair. The Big Three 150-pound regatta was instituted in 1922 and has been held annually since that time.

Dudley Merrill '26, stroke of this year's light weight crew, stroked the Crimson to its first victory two years ago and again set the pace for the victorious Harvard crew last year.

The University combination is practically untested this year. No outside races have been held yet, the only ones the crew has engagd in having been informal brushes with the other 150-pound boats, and with the Freshman crews. Although all of last year's winning oarsmen are still in college, Coach Newell has made such a radical shakeup in his crews this spring that only three veterans will row against Yale and Princeton this afternoon.

Tech Has Beaten Blue and Tigers

Both Tiger and Blue crews have lost to the strong M. I. T. lightweights, who are now waiting for their final test with the Crimson next Saturday. The University's chances for success against Tech and in the American Henley a week later seem to depend on the ability of the 150-pounders to distance their rivals this afternoon.

The seatings of the three crews follow:

Harvard--Stroke, Dudley Merrill '26; 7, G. D. Whiteside '27; 6, F. P. Taft '26; 5, R. N. Collins '26; 4, G. I. Bowditch '28; 3, J. L. Pool '28; 2, Warren Jenney '26; bow, S. S. Ganz '28; cox., E. W. Gross '27.

Yale--Stroke, Green; 7, Harper; 6, Wilson; 5, Carter; 4, Bingham; 3, Brown; 2, Hollister; bow, Hinckley; cox., Ward.

Princeton -- Stroke, Hawkins; 7, Cromwell; 6, Krag; 5, Read; 4, Whiton; 3, Thompson; 2, Cooley; bow, Zinsser; cox., Barry.

Senior and Junior A Crews Race

At 3.45 o'clock, an hour and a quarter before the 150's take the water, the Senior and Junior A crews will race to decide which shall go down to meet the winning Yale class crew. Junior A won the class championship Thursday by 4 feet over the Senior boat. Although the victory of the Juniors was not contested, the race was so close that another one was decided on in order that a more conclusive proof of superiority might be obtained.

The heavyweight Freshman and University crews will also have an informal race this afternoon at 4 o'clock. Although the Freshmen were victorious by feet in a practice contest a few weeks ago, the University oarsmen have shown great improvement since then, and should lead the first year boat across the finish today by a substantial margin. The Freshmen have shown remarkable power this spring, however and the University rowers are not looking forward to an easy win.