CRIMSON BATTING AVERAGE CLIMBS IN TIGHT CONTESTS WITH PENN AND BATES

Four Have Errorless Records--Tobin's Figure Highest for Regulars--Also Leads in Sacrifice Hits

Although the University baseball team engaged in two 2 to 1 games during the past week, the batting average for the team as a whole shows an increase over the previous weeks. This fact can be explained only by the low number of times at bat registered against Pennsylvania and Bates, so that though the team did not hit often, neither did it officially go to bat as often as is the case in loosely played games. The large number of free passes issued by Stanford and Small also reduces the number of times at bat credited to each player, and further aids in explaining the jump in figures.

By getting four bingles in seven trips to the plate, Captain Todd passes Zarakov, University third sacker, for the lead in batting among the regulars who have officially opposed moundsmen more than 2 times. The Crimson clean-up man is now hitting for the respectable figure of 327, while Zarakov has dropped to .302, barely above the coveted .300 mark.

Pitchers Heavy Hitters

Duchin, who has only played for the University outfit in one game, that against Springfield, nominally leads the Harvard stickmen with an average of 500, and three others, not classed as regulars, also top the Crimson captain and third-base man. Barbee and Cutts, both pitchers, are violating the rules of the twirlers' union by hitting for .333, and Burns, the Sophomore outfielder whose early season injury is keeping him out of this lest of regulars, is also meeting the ball on an average of once in three tries.

Except for Todd and Zarakov, no Crimson regular is batting over .300. Ullman's recent streak has brought him up from the less than .200 class to the figure of .263, and should his thumping continue, he bids fair to join the select group. Jones, with an average of .285, and Chauncey, whose mark is .268, still stand between the University second sacker and the leaders.

Todd, besides passing Zarakov in hitting, has also crept up on his rival in base-stealing. Three men, besides these two, and Jones, now stand tied with four thefts apiece for the lead in this department.

Heavy Hitting Is Scant

Tobin, though the weakest hitter on the squad, has jumped into the lead with Zarakov for the most sacrifice hits. To date they each have three times advanced runners by voluntarily submitting to erasure at first base. Ellison, leader in this department until this week, still stands at two sacrifices, his only appearance last week being in the role of pinch-hitter.

Extra base hits continue scant among Coach Mitchell's charges. Only ten in all have been registered, six of them doubles, while the remaining four have been evenly divided between three baggers and home runs. Sullivan is the Crimson's leading slugger, his extra base plies totalling nine bases.

Only two errors were chalked up against the Harvard nine in its past two games, but one of them gave Penn its winning run, and the second one, in the ninth inning against Bates two days ago, enabled the invaders to tie the score in their half of the final frame. The team average in the field now stands at .934, not a bad figure, though only Ellison, Duchin, Cutts and Booth have perfect records afield. Among the leading fielders are Todd, with an average of .958, Ullman .946, Jones .944. Tobin, though he has made two errors, leads the regulars in fielding with an average of .969, a figure largely bloated by the large number of routine put-outs that he handles as regular first base-man. TOPPING THE TODDMEN MOST HITS Todd  14 MOST RUNS Sullivan  13 MOST TWO-BASE HITS Barbee  2 MOST THREE-BASE HITS Todd, Sullivan  1 MOST HOME RUNS Sullivan, Zarakov  1 MOST SACRIFICE HITS Tobin, Zarakov  3 MOST STOLEN BASES Jones, Todd, Zarakov  4