THE FALL GUY

After the metropolitan press had used to full and florid advantage the announcement from the American Association of University Professors that football was really not the essential item in modern educational policy the Yale News decided to revive that bugaboo of last autumn, the perennial fall guy, football for the momentary display included in this column. That there is a certain sanity in their reaction is apparent. But that this sanity is slightly adumbrated by the clouds of sentimentalism, too often hovering upon undergraduate horizon is even more apparent.

The CRIMSON's plan for minimizing of over emphasis on this one among many college sports was not intended to function as the be all and end all of football. Rather was it a suggestion implying that there do exist alternatives for the repulsive rahrahness, so much a part of the present football season.

In a recent editorial the CRIMSON suggested that there did lurk certain fanaticism in the statement issued by the Association of Professors. Though football is not America's "most healthful and wholesome exercise" it is not the primrose path to any Shakespearian hades. And certain members present at the meeting of the Association who firmly admire football in its proper place have reminded inquisitive Cantabridgians that they did not sign the report and that it was merely the tentative plan of a group there present.

It is a pleasant thing to enter any joust, especially since the radio and the press make of every salute a mighty warery But when there are so many other activities in which to attempt the spectacular, it is rather unfortunate that the fall guy, college football, must be worried from his vernal sleep.