FRESHMEN TO GATHER FOR SMOKER IN UNION TONIGHT

GOLD COAST ORCHESTRA TO PLAY AND MOYNAHAN TO CLOG

The Freshman class will congregate at 7.30, o'clock tonight in the Living Room of the Union for the second 1929 smoker of the year. This gathering marks the beginning of a month of Freshman activities which culminate in the Jubilee on May 28.

E. A. Whitney '17, Assistant Dean in charge of the Freshman Class, and T. S. Woods '20, have been secured as the chief speakers of the evening. Woods played guard on the University football team for two years and was chosen by Walter Camp as the premier American player in that position his last year. A. E. French '29 will preside at the Smoker and will introduce the speakers.

No Movies This Year

The Committee in charge of the Smoker plans has made several arrangements for entertainment, all of which will be furnished by University talent. C. E. Henderson '28, who took the part of Ichabod Berfett in "1776," this year's Hasty Pudding Show, will give several selections on his goofus and harpsichord, both of which proved tremendously popular in all the Show's performances. J. H. S. Moynahan '23 is going to do some clogging and Robert Reinhart '29, versatile Freshman performer, will also do several stunts and tricks for the amusement of his assembled class mates. Music for the Smoker will be furnished by the Gold Coast Orchestra.

The custom of having one or two movie comedies which has been followed for the last few years has been abandoned this spring because the Committee feel that it offers nothing in the way of distinctive entertainment.