HUNTINGTON CREW IS CHARLES VICTOR

Fourth University Lightweight Eight Beats Number One Outfit--Seniors Triumph in Class Tilt

Evincing a lack of steadiness in their first test of the season, the second and third Freshman crews trailed Huntington across the finish line yesterday afternoon by one quarter of a length and a length and a half respectively.

The second first year crew jumped into the lead at the start, but then putting the stroke up too high they lost their full power and soon fell behind the schoolboys. The oarsmen in both Freshman boats seemed to have difficulty in spacing out properly and getting a smooth stroke. The slow time of 6 minutes 14 seconds over a mile course was due largely to the strong head wind and the roughness of the water on the basin.

The race yesterday decided which of the two Freshman crews is the second and which the third. The boat stroked by D. S. Greer is now definitely rated ahead of that stroked by R. B. Harkness.

The University 150-pound crews had an up stream brush of less than half a mile in which the fourth shell was first and the second also led the regular first combination.

The three first class crews also had an informal race over a three quarters of a mile course with the Senior crew winning easily.

The strokes of the victorious University shells were G. E. Smith '26 on the Senior eight, and E. B. Hanley '27, stroke of the third University of Washington new last year, on the fourth 150. Hanley is ineligible to row on any of the regular crews this year on account of the one year rule.