HARVARD IS NAMED DEBATE CHAMPION

Audience and Judges Will Combine in Rendering Decisions -- 1926-27 Dates Are Set

Amherst, June 1--Harvard won the Championship of the Eastern Intercollegiate Debate League, according to an announcement made at the annual convention of the League held at Amherst. Dartmouth came in second and Brown third. Amherst, champion last year, defeated its Little Three rivals, Wesleyan and Williams, but did not finish among the leaders. Pennsylvania, Princeton and Yale are the other colleges represented in the league.

M. R. Preuss of Dartmouth was elected president of the league for the coming year and R. W. Shrugg of Princeton vice president. The secretary and treasurer will be appointed later by the new president. The convention accepted the invitation of Dartmouth to hold next year's conventions at Hanover and May 20 was selected as the best date.

Rules To Be Changed

Two major changes were made in the rules for debate. The decision of three judges had been proven unsatisfactory, as had also the attempt to allow the audience to pick the winning team, so the two methods will be combined next year. That is, each of the three judges will have one vote and the audience will have one vote, three votes being necessary to win a debate. Also the convention went on record as favoring open forums after the debate, whenever possible, in which the audience may take part. This plan was followed unofficially this year by both Princeton and Amherst.

The convention also selected the dates for the series of triangle debates to be held next year. The first series will be held December 4, the second February 26, and the third March 26. Everett S. Noble of Amherst has been president of the league for the past year.