SUMMER COURSES FOR TOURING STUDENTS TO BE GIVEN AT GENEVA

600 FROM WORLD COLLEGES AT LAST GATHERING

The Geneva School of International Studies which last summer inaugurated a series of summer courses on international problems for college students travelling abroad, has announced its intention of offering similar courses during the coming summer. The summer lectures are given at Geneva under the auspices of the International Universities Federation with the direction of Professor Alfred Zimmern. Edwin F. Gay Hon '18, Professor of Economic History in the University, whose picture is printed below, is a member of the Executive Committee of the Geneva School.

The Geneva School of International Studies, because of its location offers an unequalled opportunity for the study of international relations. Among the members of the General Committee of the School, are General Tasker H. Bliss, Glen Frank, President of Wisconsin University and former editor of the Century Magazine, Stephen P. Duggan, and Walter Lippman, noted political scientist and author.

The purpose of the school is to offer college students travelling abroad an opportunity for studying international affairs at firsthand, and to facilitate meeting with students of other countries. Last summer the courses began in the middle of July and extended through August and September. Some six hundred students, representing over 40 countries and one hundred and 50 different universities, attended them. While the courses were so arranged that students could arrive and leave practically at their own convenience, it was intended that they should stay at least two weeks, and as an actual fact a great many remainded for four, six and eight weeks.

Professor Alfred Zimmern, noted writer and educator, who has lectured a number of times in this country and spent the year 1922-23 as exchange professor at Cornell University, is Director of the school and responsible for its success. The work is sponsored by an American Executive Committee of which Mr. Owen D. Young is Chairman.

Geneva was chosen as the location of the school in order to take advantage of the extraordinary opportunities it affords for the study of foreign affairs. Leading statesmen and experts from all countries are frequently in Geneva, and they willingly give of their time to the students. Professor Zimmern also arranges for educators from many countries to give courses, and the secretariat of the League of Nations cooperates readily in the work.

To Repeat Along Regular Lines

The plan for the coming summer is very similar to that followed last year. Courses will begin the 12th of July and continue through the meetings of the League of Nations Assembly in September. Students may come at any time during the summer. There is one Innovation however. Students who can stay for two weeks or more may be admitted to a special discussion group for the intensive study of particular problems. Those who cannot stay so long and all others interested in the courses, including faculty members, will attend the regular lectures and discussions.

A typical day at the school includes a lecture in French and one in English in the morning, the same in the afternoon, and a group discussion in the evening. Ample time is allowed for recreation, which includes trips to nearby mountain and lake resoris, as well as swimming, biking and tennis. The special features of the school and the informal character of the work, the opportunities afforded for fellowship among students and personal contacts with distinguished men.

Preliminary announcements of the courses are now being distributed throughout the colleges and universities of the country. Among the services offered is that of securing accommodations for students while they are in Geneva.

Bookiets describing the school in detail may be secured by writing to the Secretary of The Geneva School of International Studies, 60 Broadway, New York City.