MURPHY HAS 13 FRESHMEN FROM WHOM TO PICK CREW

W. A. MEIKELHAM WILL OFFICIATE AS REFEREE

Coach Murphy of the Yale Freshman crew will probably make his decision either today or tomorrow as to whether or not he will be able to fashion a first year eight out of the 13 oarsmen who remain in his charge in time to race the Crimson 1929 boat next Friday. The Eli mentor has assembled nine Freshmen who were cut from his squad two weeks before the crews went into training at Gales Ferry, and with the four members left to him from his first eight it is possible that he will be able to work out some sort of a combination. His decision will hinge on the ability of his recruits to round into satisfactory physical condition within the next day or two.

Yale Has Slight Edge

Both the Yale and the Harvard first boats went over the four mile route last Saturday in the last time trials before the race. Coach Leader's Blue eight negotiated the distance just three seconds faster than did the Crimson shell. Three seconds difference in times means less than one boat length in distance, and if the time trials can be taken as any indication as to what the crews can do in a race, there should be no open water between the shells at the finish Friday.

William A. Meikelham, who for more than 30 years officiated as referee at Harvard-Yale boat races will again occupy that position this year it was announced yesterday. Mr. Meikelham who is a graduate of Columbia, had served as an official for three decades without missing a single race until last year, when he declined the invitation of the committee headed by F. Valentine Chapman of New London.

Strives to Equal Cook's Mark

Coach Leader of Yale will be striving on Friday to equal the mark set by Bob Cook, the Bulldog's most famous rowing coach, who registered four consecutive victories against Harvard between 1892 and 1896. He can not, however: equal the record of five successive wins which was established by Coach Kennedy between 1900 and 1903. A Crimson victory this year will bring the number of Harvard triumphs in the 60 years of rowing relations between the two colleges to a total of 28 while if the Blue crosses the line a victor again it will bring the Yale total to 32. The most successful period in Yale's rowing history came between the years 1880 and 1900 when the Blue captured 14 victories in 19 meetings under the tutelage of Coach Cook.