HAINES BECOMES COACH

Announcement is made today that Harvard rowing has passed from the tutelage of one coach to that of another. The world of rowing will watch the development of the University eight during the next weeks with particular interest. Some may take the resignation of the former head coach as the final blow to an already mediocre rowing season. The more logical conclusion however, is that the change in regime being the very thing the crew most needed a Harvard eight will have once again more than a desperate chance of standing on equal terms with the most expert boats of the country.

The statements of all concerned with yesterday's action show that the rowing machinery of the Charles was not working smoothly.

Apparently conditions had been brooding ill for some time: apparently the crew was planning to make the best of the circumstances. The coach's resignation was the only thing that could possibly relieve the strained relations His action in tendering his resignation yesterday was in keeping with his strong personal character. The crew cannot but regret losing contact with so estimable a man, and cannot help but admire him for taking the proper step when conditions warranted it. It is regrettable, but necessary that an individual be sacrificed for a group.

The psychological effect of the shake-up should be a healthy one. There has existed all season a courageous spirit among the rowers, but it was a well-nigh hopeless one. From now on the same spirit will exist with the important, indeed vital, difference that it will be hopeful.

The acceptance of the resignation will seem to many to be a rash step. The CRIMSON sees in it not a rash step, but a brave one. And it sees in it further that the step is proof positive of the success of the reorganized athletic bureau.

The CRIMSON looks forward to a new atmosphere which though it may not bring immediate victory, will at least come much nearer to producing the best Harvard can offer.