For A Different Memorial

THE MAIL

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

"To him that hath it shall be given and to him that hath not, it shall be taken, even that which he hath" says the Bible and that same old injustice reigns down to the present day. The well equipped, the well provided for, in fact the too well equipped, part of Harvard shall be better provided for in the future, while the poorly and insufficiently equipped deteriorates day after day.

Thus the morning chapel and Sunday church facilities which are well supplied by the spacious roominess and many vacant pews of Appleton chapel shall be better supplied with greater spaciousness and more vacant news in the form of a splendid new church, while "that which hath not", namely Hemenway Gymnasium, shall be deprived of what it has, when an increasing influx of graduate students from the new business school and other quarters consume what little ozone is left in those musty vaults. Thousands of Harvard men are asked to contribute their means to the Memorial Church, built in Georgian Design and holding 1600 students, so that a suitable memorial may stand for the fallen dead of the late war, a memorial quite impressive no doubt in its silence and emptiness unless the Yale system of compulsory chapel be adopted to bolster up our flaggu a religious attendance. Then, with the hand of force behind the student body we will be marched into a place where we can sit down an meditate over the sacrifice of the fallen, and of the graduates' contributions.

But Hemenway goes on forever! We need no compulsory attendance to bring the host of graduates and undergraduates there to enjoy the benefits of basketball, boxing, wrestling, and fencing, even if those benefits are hampered by poor equipment, limited space, and miserable ventilation. Far more fortunate are those who take their exercise in football, baseball, soccer, track, and lacrosse, but these sports are played on Soldiers' Field and Soldier's Field is a memorial to the fallen dead of the Civil War.

It is no new precedent to build a memorial in the form of an institution for the betterment of the human physique and a monument for the joy of athletic contest. William H. Ennis '27